18.5.10

Disguising beauty.

My throat is dry,
my voice is small.

Water, water, the basic of life.
Where is this source, to quench the drought?

I see two wells.
One is lavished with jewels and riches.

The other is plain.

From where I stand, the waters of both look appetizing,
my intense thirst depleting my ability to judge.

As I walk closer, the beautiful well's water is tainted
the jewels distorted the light to make it look clean
but the plain well needs no distortion
the light seems to shine from the water
a luminescent liquid.

I take a cup of the shining water
and feel as if one sip has quenched me for eternity.

I see another traveler,
he feverishly gulps
trying to attain the beauty of the well from it's water
the empty promise.

He drinks until he is almost drowning in himself
his thirst is too great
and the water inadequate.

I call him over
and recall my journey
we once shared the same thirst.

He wants now to drink from the shining water
but his belly is too full!

A time to purge has come.
Regardless of the thirst, he drains the moisture from himself
to make room for the everlasting cup.

I see the comparison
of life to death
of outer beauty to inner beauty

Be weary of the beautiful well
for it disguises the tainted waters.

Be joyous of the plain well
because it has filled you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment